Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Adam's apprentices

On 07/12/2019 13:51, charles wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , alan_m
wrote:

On 05/12/2019 22:56, Robin wrote:

ISTM such questions would test how much they /already/ know - which
could vary enormously through chance (eg whether or not they had a
parent who did stuff). What the employer wants to know* is whether or
not they have what it takes to /become/ an electrician. I'd have
thought that was better assessed by testing things all school leavers
ought to know - e.g. basic arithmetic, algebra and comprehension.

A decent interview should sort that out. Its not only what they know but
their attitude to actually working.

I'm sure that most reading this group have HAD to fit a mains plug but
these day they all come moulded onto the cable.

In the US you cannot even buy a mains plug, strickly speaking.

Which would be a problem in our village hall, where the three
appliances you are asked to leave disconnected and (for the two
fridges), door open, have their mains cable coming up through the
counter top via a cable-width hole, with the plug above along with the
wall sockets.

simple, enlarge the hole to take one the many desk cable outlets. It's what
I did for our village hall. Kept the fridge's warranty

Swapping a moulded plug does not invalidate a warranty.

--
Adam