Posted to uk.d-i-y
pamela pamela is offline

Default which option is the best for a lawn that has now become a dandelion bed

On 07:39 7 Dec 2019, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 14:12:07 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have a lawn that was laid 10 years ago with Rolawn Medallion turf at a
rental house. The tenant has been there all that time.

In that time, it has now become a dandelion bed, i.e there is now very
little grass visible and is now basically full of dandelions.

I see I have several options:

Dig it all up and lay new turf.... how long do the dandelion tap roots
go down and how do I ensure I get the entire tap roots out?

Apply a total weedkiller, wait several months and then reseed with grass
seed

Apply a selective weedkiller to kill just the dandelions and hope the
grass then regrows and fills in the space left by the dandelions

Pay GreenThumb or similar X quid a month and get them to visit several
times a year and sort it out for me.

What do the panel think?

S.

Option 3 - selective weedkiller, Verdone (now called Weedol lawn
killer) or similar. But not at this time of year. Wait until the
Spring when things start growing again. You may need two applications,
a few weeks apart. When the dandelions have died, scarify the larger
bald patches with a rake and over-seed with a good lawn seed mix. Be
vigilant and remove dandelion seedlings that will inevitably appear
over time.
http://tinyurl.com/vohcq44 and http://tinyurl.com/yxzrxhqp

Every time I try selective weedkiller on a lawn, the grass is badly affected
and doesn't really recover. I would use a good brand and not apply too much.
I've given up with them.