Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default which option is the best for a lawn that has now become a dandelion bed

I have a lawn that was laid 10 years ago with Rolawn Medallion turf at a rental house. The tenant has been there all that time.

In that time, it has now become a dandelion bed, i.e there is now very little grass visible and is now basically full of dandelions.

I see I have several options:

Dig it all up and lay new turf.... how long do the dandelion tap roots go down and how do I ensure I get the entire tap roots out?

Apply a total weedkiller, wait several months and then reseed with grass seed

Apply a selective weedkiller to kill just the dandelions and hope the grass then regrows and fills in the space left by the dandelions

Pay GreenThumb or similar X quid a month and get them to visit several times a year and sort it out for me.

What do the panel think?

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/12/2019 22:12, wrote:
Apply a selective weedkiller to kill just the dandelions and hope the grass then regrows and fills in the space left by the dandelions

Above is what I would do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 10:06:36 AM UTC+11, wrote:
On Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 9:33:06 AM UTC+11, Chris Green wrote:
wrote:
I have a lawn that was laid 10 years ago with Rolawn Medallion turf at
a rental house. The tenant has been there all that time.

In that time, it has now become a dandelion bed, i.e there is now very
little grass visible and is now basically full of dandelions.

I see I have several options:

Dig it all up and lay new turf.... how long do the dandelion tap roots
go down and how do I ensure I get the entire tap roots out?

Apply a total weedkiller, wait several months and then reseed with grass seed

Apply a selective weedkiller to kill just the dandelions and hope the grass
then regrows and fills in the space left by the dandelions

Pay GreenThumb or similar X quid a month and get them to visit several
times a year and sort it out for me.

What do the panel think?

Just mow it regularly.

--
Chris Green
·

yes, if you have a second strip of grass around home mow there, after the first, that way you will have dandeleons uniformly all over your lawn areas !!!

Joke apart, my personal experience is these damndeleons spread easily when you use the mower. Best, as I found,, is to remove them complete root stock and barrel using garden tool. And it needs patience careful not to seveer the root and do it more than 1 season b4 one can see them disappear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have a lawn that was laid 10 years ago with Rolawn Medallion turf at a
rental house. The tenant has been there all that time.

In that time, it has now become a dandelion bed, i.e there is now very
little grass visible and is now basically full of dandelions.

I see I have several options:

Dig it all up and lay new turf.... how long do the dandelion tap roots go
down and how do I ensure I get the entire tap roots out?

Apply a total weedkiller, wait several months and then reseed with grass seed

Apply a selective weedkiller to kill just the dandelions and hope the
grass then regrows and fills in the space left by the dandelions

Pay GreenThumb or similar X quid a month and get them to visit several
times a year and sort it out for me.

What do the panel think?

S.

I looked at the price of selective weed killers and realised that paying a
lawn care company to do it made more sense. No regrets.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
wrote:
[...]

Price of green thumb p.a.?
Is your lawn weed free as a result?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2019 09:29, Richard wrote:
On 06/12/2019 22:12, wrote:
I have a lawn that was laid 10 years ago with Rolawn Medallion turf at
a rental house. The tenant has been there all that time.

In that time, it has now become a dandelion bed, i.e there is now very
little grass visible and is now basically full of dandelions.

I see I have several options:

Dig it all up and lay new turf.... how long do the dandelion tap roots
go down and how do I ensure I get the entire tap roots out?

Apply a total weedkiller, wait several months and then reseed with
grass seed

Apply a selective weedkiller to kill just the dandelions and hope the
grass then regrows and fills in the space left by the dandelions

Pay GreenThumb or similar X quid a month and get them to visit several
times a year and sort it out for me.

What do the panel think?

S.

Take an alternative approach:
https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/12-thin...elion-flowers/

Senior Management was able to 'recover' a lawn in a sorry state to a
pretty good condition by using one of the off the shelf 'weed and feeds'
in combination with some 'spot' weed killer for the stubborn ones. It
took quite a long time, over a year, probably 2 or even 3. It seemed a
crime when we later torn it up and paved the whole area.

We faced with a similar problem in the current house we opted for new
turf. The results were certainly quicker but a lot more expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Find a local gardener who will not charge the earth but you may still need
to relay it or at least try to get it mowed often so the dandelions don't
seed. Often though this problem occurs due to an adjacent plot running wild
and seeding yours!
I'm assuming you want real grass.
There are those who say also that why worry if its green most oof the time,
seed it with wild flowers.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
I have a lawn that was laid 10 years ago with Rolawn Medallion turf at a
rental house. The tenant has been there all that time.

In that time, it has now become a dandelion bed, i.e there is now very
little grass visible and is now basically full of dandelions.

I see I have several options:

Dig it all up and lay new turf.... how long do the dandelion tap roots go
down and how do I ensure I get the entire tap roots out?

Apply a total weedkiller, wait several months and then reseed with grass
seed

Apply a selective weedkiller to kill just the dandelions and hope the
grass then regrows and fills in the space left by the dandelions

Pay GreenThumb or similar X quid a month and get them to visit several
times a year and sort it out for me.

What do the panel think?

S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can seed the bare bits, but the issue of the deep roots is going to end
up with a very bumpy lawn, just like mine.... Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ss" wrote in message
On 06/12/2019 22:12,
wrote:
Apply a selective weedkiller to kill just the dandelions and hope the
grass then regrows and fills in the space left by the dandelions

Above is what I would do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 22:29:04 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

[snip]

Just mow it regularly.

Looking at the name, here is a contributor who should be taken
seriously :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07:39 7 Dec 2019, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 14:12:07 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have a lawn that was laid 10 years ago with Rolawn Medallion turf at a
rental house. The tenant has been there all that time.

In that time, it has now become a dandelion bed, i.e there is now very
little grass visible and is now basically full of dandelions.

I see I have several options:

Dig it all up and lay new turf.... how long do the dandelion tap roots
go down and how do I ensure I get the entire tap roots out?

Apply a total weedkiller, wait several months and then reseed with grass
seed

Apply a selective weedkiller to kill just the dandelions and hope the
grass then regrows and fills in the space left by the dandelions

Pay GreenThumb or similar X quid a month and get them to visit several
times a year and sort it out for me.

What do the panel think?

S.

Option 3 - selective weedkiller, Verdone (now called Weedol lawn
killer) or similar. But not at this time of year. Wait until the
Spring when things start growing again. You may need two applications,
a few weeks apart. When the dandelions have died, scarify the larger
bald patches with a rake and over-seed with a good lawn seed mix. Be
vigilant and remove dandelion seedlings that will inevitably appear
over time.
http://tinyurl.com/vohcq44 and http://tinyurl.com/yxzrxhqp

Every time I try selective weedkiller on a lawn, the grass is badly affected
and doesn't really recover. I would use a good brand and not apply too much.
I've given up with them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
wrote:
[...]

No idea about price of green thumb but our firm treats our lawn four time a
year at about £30 a time. Lawn looks very good.

Tm

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

Verdone is what I tried initially but its expensive and the stuff
available to the public seems pretty ineffective (or I wasnt using it
correctly). Whatever, paying someone else to do all the treatment 4 times
a year works for me and gives far better results than I ever achieved.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Tim+ writes
Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

Hormone weed sprays work best in ideal growing conditions, ample
moisture, warm days and nights. This needs to coincide with the ideal
target weed growth stage:-)

I have a knapsack sprayer which feeds a bar having 4 nozzles. Covering
about 4'0" and used at walking speed it is possible to apply chemicals
at the rate they were developed for: around 80 litres/ acre diluted. You
can't do this with a watering can or very well with a single nozzle.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2019 07:39, Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

Thats a bit more thorough than I am doing. But ues, definitely KEEP AT IT.

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
wrote:
[...]

I was helping at a friend's patio project over summer & realised
he has some lawn care company on contract as they turned up for
10 minutes one day.
The lawn? Green but choc full of moss, plantains, creeping
buttercup etc etc.

Not a good advert IMHO.

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are those who say also that why worry if its green most oof the time,
seed it with wild flowers.

My approach.

I dig out the worst of the thistles and dandelions, but most other
plants can stay.

_Especially_ the bee orchids.

Andy