Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Adam's apprentices

In article ,
lid says...

On 06/12/2019 21:26,
wrote:
On Friday, 6 December 2019 21:02:54 UTC, ARW wrote:
How do you work out do some of the answers?
Take Q7
I just think easy. 10% is 24, half that and add it to 24.

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember 15% VAT.

Owain

I am old enough to remember purchase tax which was about 40% before it
was replaced by VAT at 15%.

I dont think there was ever a 40% rate but I know that, just
before I left schol, TV tubes carried a 66 2/3% rate! Ouch!

50%, 25%, then the ±10% twiddles so beloved by chancellors, so
we had 55%, 45%, 22.5% and 27.5%!

Because it was levied at the wholesale level and many items
were priced 'plus purchase tax' it was great fun after each
budget calculating the new prices!

--

Terry