Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Rechargeable batteries - life expectancy

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 13:16:10 +0000, Andrew wrote:

Gave up using rechargeables for AA AAA batteries years ago. There's no
way they saved any money after buying the charger(s) and having the
batteries last for a few months.

My eneloops have lasted much longer than that.

My Sony NiMH AA batteries, marked "CycleEnergy", bought 2008
are doing fine. They are mostly used in my Caplio GX8 camera
that takes 2 AA batteries and have been recharged many times.

The Energiser NiMH AA rechargeables that were bought a few years
later go flat much more quickly and one made the intelligent
charger flag it as a bad cell, so that one has gone.

I had the occasional cell that a 'smart' charger didn't like. Still around
1.15V, so not deeply discharged. 5 min. on a 'dumb' charger and it would
then charge OK on the 'smart' one.

A good quality battery charger that doesn't overcharge is
probably a good idea, also, while they might be convenient
I suspect that 1 hour chargers shorten then lives of
rechargeables.

The Nicor defaults to 350mA on an AA; I set it to 150mA and let it have all
the time it needs. Thanks to this group, I learnt thas rapid charging is
bad.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away