Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default dishwasher detergent clogging drain

wrote in message
I'm having this exact same issue.

White pasty cement consistency that builds up on the dishwasher drain
spout.

I actually had to pick away at it with a screwdriver and it broke one of
my smaller screwdrivers.

I just did a new renovation and after a week the stuff built up to the
point that it clogged and my dishwasher pump couldn't push out the water.

I thought maybe it was the powder dishwasher detergent

Any help is much appreciated

Might help if you got real radical and named the dishwasher detergent
that you use and the brand and model of the dishwasher.

I used Finish pellets for decades and never saw anything like that.
I now use the Aldi pellets. and see no problem. But they do vary
quite a bit with what they offer.

The only thing that I did see that was a bit unusual was that when
I used to wash the big stainless steel roasting pan in the big wall
oven for leg of lamb roasts, I used to get a light brown deposit
on the underside of the big removable stainless steel with holes
filter thats in the bottom of the dishwasher with the Finish pellet.
That wasnt that hard to scrub off with a scrubbing brush under
the cold water tap. That was due to me putting absolutely filthy
and fat coated roasting pans directly into the dishwasher. When
I stopped doing that and heated the pan and poured off the fat
before putting it into the dishwasher, that problem went away.

Presumably you are in a hard water area. What are you doing
about salt for that in the dishwasher ? I'm in a quite soft water
area and only get a bit of salt on the shower head in a year or so.