Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default key safe recommendation

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Saturday, 30 November 2019 11:46:44 UTC, tim... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 22 November 2019 12:07:25 UTC,
wrote:
On Friday, 22 November 2019 11:53:57 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
I guess we'll just have to wait for finger print access to such
things,
should be too long, suprised I haven't seen such a thing on dragons
den.

I believe that fingerprint readers can be fooled with either a latex
impression or a dead finger.

Some devices can the cheaper ones. But why are we seucuring the door
from
others is the important thing here, and it;s not like no one has ever
gained access without the correct key to any place, it;s just what
effort
you need to take to eliminate such a thing and in most cases I doubt
many
people carry a dead finger around with them, or have access to the
latex
and a suitable finger.
Face recognicion is another option, I've heard in the USA they are
looking
into guns that can only be fired after face recogniction has been used.

implementing "owner" recognition for gun triggering has been considered
by
military for at least 20 years.

But only recently had the technology become cheap enough and small enough.

cost no object to the military

how much did the replacement bog seat cost?

27 thousand pounds or something?

It all fails to solve the scenario of what happens if trouper A needs to
"borrow" the gun of (dead/incapacitated) Trooper B in hurry, in a
battlefield scenario

No it doesn't.
It just needs a little thought like dual access bank accounts.
But it does depend on what you mean by in a hurry.

like *immediately*

I can se NO reason why a face or finger print must only be for ONE person
/ ONE gun.

but in a company, are you going to have every trouper programmed into every
gun?

You could have everyone in the platoon have their face recorded as ID for
every gun.

even that's probably too many

At the very least you could have a 4 digit number override, and everyone
in theat platoon get the 4 digit code for the day/week.
At least 5 of my friends know my 4 digit code for my ipad which is the
same for my TV box.

I'm betting even harry could design a systenm where every gun can be
operated by anyone with a white skin, but if someoen with a black skin
picks it up it won't work.
Do you really think it's beyond us to design a gun activation systemn that
can be operated by more than one face or one finger print ?

Nope, but I know for a fact that idea was discussed, and AFAIA hasn't been
implemented (I'm no longer in contact with the people who were looking at
the possible solutions)

tim