Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power supplier wants to fit smart meters?

On 30/11/2019 14:40, tim... wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 09:26:41 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

TV default standby was over 20W

but turning it on/off at the switch behind the TV stand every day is
just
too much hassle, whatever the saving.

Actually it is almost physically impossible to hit the mains switch
behind the TV without a 6' long pole and a great deal of skill.

Years ago Eon gave away "intelligent" adapters that on one leg gave
normal power and on the other leg switched off if the appliance wasn't
being used.Â* See
http://blog.coultard.com/2014/02/eon...n-standby.html

ISTR something like this being pitched on Dragons Den

I can't recall the result

Several brands of smart master slave sockets are available intended for
PCs and TV/Hifi systems with numerous peripherals.

It needs to be trained to your remote so it will also turn on when you
hit the remote for On.

I have a 4-way attached to that outlet so everything else that would
require the TV to work (DVD player, Wii etc) is also off when the TV
is off.

well there's the rub

I need my WiFi and my PVR(s) to remain on even though the TV is off

They have thought of that.
Eon's free one has one master, one slave and one permanently on socket.

I don't have a DVD player and certainly not a games console

tim

If you have no other electrical kit then it obviously won't help.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown