Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Please face forward and hold the handrail

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 11:41:05 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 12/01/2019 10:42 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 23:29:44 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 11/30/2019 09:36 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,

says...

I have a little sympathy since when I get a cup of drive through coffee
I'd really prefer to drink it now and not 30 miles down the road.

You should not be drinking the coffee while driving. If you spill it,
even if it is a drink that is not hot like water and you have to make a
sudden stop or have to make a quick turn you will be distracted.

However in some of the traffic jams I have seen , you can drink that cup
of coffee before you go a block, even giving it time to cool down.

You're kidding, right? You really don't want to think about what
truckers get up to. I used to make sandwiches while going down the road
at 65 with the cruise control set.

Back in the sleeper?

Never got that bad. iirc in Moon's 'Blue Highways' he mentions driving
across one of the boring states in the Midwest when he caught himself
getting ready to go back in the van to make a snack.

Drive about 3,000 miles a week and your mind can get a little warped.
The thing I found most distracting was audio books.

I was a teamster (local 639) in DC for a summer but it was all around
town, delivering chickens and beef. I did get to know some over the
road guys in the Children's Band radio days. They do seem to be a
different sort of person. I was working midnights and it seemed I was
always talking to the same guys at about the same time, going around
the beltway, most nights. They seemed to be making the same runs over
and over. It sounded pretty boring to me but I guess they weren't
standing at 20th and K with a hind quarter on their shoulder waiting
for the light. ;-)