Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Please face forward and hold the handrail

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 30 Nov 2019 11:44:23 -0500, Hawk
wrote:

On 11/30/2019 10:50 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/30/2019 10:26 AM, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:
On 11/30/2019 9:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/29/2019 11:57 PM, micky wrote:

Please face forward and hold the handrail

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50606015

similar:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ourt-1.4908212

I won't use an escalator any more.* Power went out once and I got
stuck on one for over an hour.* Terrible experience.

You should hire one of those lawyers who advertise on late night TV.
A few million might ease your trauma.

Hire the one suing McDonalds for the guy complaining about them cooking
their veggie burgers on the same grill they use for those made with meat.

Or the one who helped the lady sue McDonald cause she spilled hot coffee
on her lap and burned herself.

At the very least you should believe by now that the woman had a
reasonable case and not one to be cited as without substantial merit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/30/2019 10:50 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/30/2019 10:26 AM, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:
On 11/30/2019 9:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/29/2019 11:57 PM, micky wrote:

Please face forward and hold the handrail

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50606015

similar:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ourt-1.4908212

I won't use an escalator any more.Â* Power went out once and I got
stuck on one for over an hour.Â* Terrible experience.

You should hire one of those lawyers who advertise on late night TV.
A few million might ease your trauma.

Hire the one suing McDonalds for the guy complaining about them cooking
their veggie burgers on the same grill they use for those made with meat.

Or the one who helped the lady sue McDonald cause she spilled hot coffee
on her lap and burned herself.

At the very least you should believe by now that the woman had a
reasonable case and not one to be cited as without substantial merit.

Maybe the looney-libtard democrats should ban hot coffee?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No.Â* Life has risk.Â* Virtually everything we do has risk.Â* The slip-n-fall scammers should be euthanized.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2019 2:06 AM, micky wrote:

IMO, I still have no sympathy. Coffee, hot chocolate, tea and other hot
beverages are "HOT".

Not that hot.

Hot enough to burn and/or cause an accident while driving if spilled.

Maybe it's my fault for leaving out part of the facts on that.

Fact: temps above 109 degrees burns skins. The higher the temp the more
severe.

McDonalds didnt just serve their coffee hot€“ their operations manual
required that is be served between 180 and 190 degrees; 30-40 degrees
hotter than other coffee-serving restaurants in the area. The Shriners
Burn Institute in Cincinnati issued warnings that coffee served above
130 degrees was €śdangerously hot.€ť McDonalds knew that their coffee
was €śnot fit for consumption€ť at the temperature it was served because
it caused third-degree burns within 3-7 seconds of contact with the
skin. In the ten years prior to this accident they had 700 complaints
of burns from their coffee, including complaints of burns to children
and infants from accidental spills.

Hot beverages in the hands of children while driving. Yea, that's smart.

(Or maybe it's your fault for not reading the posts I gave, or
concentrating on editorials you like. Or maybe you're just callous.
Wait until something like this happens to someone you care about.)

OR maybe I don't care to ruffle through the abundant links you provide
because it doesn't remove the fact that hot is hot. Anyone who purchases
food from a drive thru is at risk of causing harm to themselves and/or
others from spills of food or worse, hot beverages. And maybe I simply
believe that drivers should focus on driving instead of eating, drinking
hot beverages or removing the lids, texting or anything that diverts the
attention from their driving. Family, friends or otherwise, I'd say the
same. If common sense makes me callous, so be it.

Drinking a hot beverage and driving is risky
enough, setting it between your legs increases the risk. Tough nookies.
She isn't owed anything for her stupidity.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...457-story.html

How hot is your coffee? Probably hotter than you think.

Last month, an Albuquerque, N.M., jury awarded $2.7 million to a woman
scalded by McDonalds coffee--an amount reduced this week to $480,000 by
the trial judge.

The jury blamed McDonalds for continuing to sell coffee at a
temperature the company knew could cause burns. Evidence showed
McDonalds coffee was hotter than that served at other restaurants.

Perhaps in Albuquerque. According to our admittedly unscientific survey,
at least one Burger King and one Starbucks outlet serve coffee hotter
than McDonalds. We found temperatures ranging from a low of 157 degrees
at Primos, a small chain of coffee shops, to a high of 182 degrees at
one Downtown Los Angeles Burger King.

This one is just betting nothing will go wrong. There are lots of
negligent places like this, not just regarding coffee.

And McD's excuse was that it should still be hot after people drove to
work. Here they are already in downtown. How long does it take to walk
to work from there.

Works for me. When they arrive to work, they can add the cream and
sugar if desired.....NOT WHILE DRIVING. OR simply pull over, add,
reattach lid, then continue.

In the Albuquerque case, it was disclosed that McDonalds brews coffee
at 195 to 205 degrees and holds it at 180 to 190 degrees.

If you conduct this temperature test at home, you may find similar
results with your own coffee.

Have you done this?

I don't drink coffee.

According to the Assn. of Home Appliances
Manufacturers, brewing temperatures for coffee makers range from 170 to
205 degrees.

And not meant to be carried in a moving car.

Exactly, also not meant to be removing the lid while driving which is
common sense. Therefore, fault of the driver and more so a passenger
since they have no idea if a bump could be in the path.

The coffee industry is loath to turn down the heat, despite potential
liability for burns. The Specialty Coffee Assn., whose members include
coffee roasters, retailers and restaurants, says coffee tastes best if
brewed at 195 to 205 degrees.

Maybe, but it doesn't have to be kept as hot as it is. They can let it
cool before selling it at the drive-in window.

Then people will complain about it not being hot enough.

Ted Lingel, executive director of the association, said members are
discussing other safety measures, such as printing warnings on
cups--already a practice at McDonalds--and using spill-proof lids.

How do you get the cream and sugar in.

Pull over, stop, add or Wait till you get to work. As stated, it's still
hot enough, then add. Even a cold beverage spilled on the lap of a
driver can cause harm if they get into an accident due to the spill.
It's common logic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, she didn't. She didn't use common sense that placing a hot beverage
between her legs and removing a lid, even as a passenger, has risks. Her
clumsiness was her fault. I'm also skeptical of the son pulling over to
let her add he condiments. OF course the attorney will advise not to say
they were moving or case dismissed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2019 1:32 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/30/2019 10:16 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 23:36:13 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,

says...

I have a little sympathy since when I get a cup of drive through coffee
I'd really prefer to drink it now and not 30 miles down the road.

You should not be drinking the coffee while driving.* If you spill it,
even if it is a drink that is not hot like water and you have to make a
sudden stop or have to make a quick turn you will be distracted.

However in some of the traffic jams I have seen , you can drink that cup
of coffee before you go a block, even giving it time to cool down.

I wonder how long it will be until they reverse the drive through so
the food goes in the passenger window. There is no placeable reason to
believe a driver, alone in the car is not going to be eating and
drinking while they drive. Eating a whopper or drinking hot coffee is
every bit as distracting as holding a cell phone.
I doubt you can buy a mixed drink at the drive through anymore. That
used to be a thing in Southern Md.

Whoppers aren't bad although the dressing tends to drip on your crotch.
Colonel Sanders chicken is a disaster though. Nothing like a well
greased steering wheel.

I've seen drive through liquor stores but I've never seen single serving
drinks.

New Orleans has daiquiri shops

https://www.thekitchn.com/the-drive-...adition-241670
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
accident is your fault, then it is up to each driver to fix their own
car.
Say you are going down the road and decide to turn in a drive way,
there is a minimum distance where you are suppose to turn on the turn
signal. If someone rams you from behind, it is still partly your fault
if you did not signal atleast that far ahead of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2019 10:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
accident is your fault, then it is up to each driver to fix their own
car.
Say you are going down the road and decide to turn in a drive way,
there is a minimum distance where you are suppose to turn on the turn
signal. If someone rams you from behind, it is still partly your fault
if you did not signal atleast that far ahead of time.

All state courts have a somewhat different perspective.

Here, I found that if you get a traffic ticket for an accident if you
just pay it and it gets to court you have no defense. I was advised to
plead no contest and pay the ticket as if it does get to court you can
bring up arguments in your defense to mitigate the damages if you lose.

On the national level we see it all the time where law firms shop the
courts where they know they can get a favorable verdict.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It was a thing in So Md. You would go to a liquor store convenience
store sort of place, order a fountain drink and a miniature of your
booze of choice and the guy would offer to pour it in for you. Rum and
Coke, out the window for $3 for that alcoholic on the go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 02:06:51 -0500, micky
wrote:

McDonalds didnt just serve their coffee hot€“ their operations manual
required that is be served between 180 and 190 degrees; 30-40 degrees
hotter than other coffee-serving restaurants in the area. The Shriners
Burn Institute in Cincinnati issued warnings that coffee served above
130 degrees was €śdangerously hot.€ť McDonalds knew that their coffee
was €śnot fit for consumption€ť at the temperature it was served because
it caused third-degree burns within 3-7 seconds of contact with the
skin. In the ten years prior to this accident they had 700 complaints
of burns from their coffee, including complaints of burns to children
and infants from accidental spills.

The managers I talked to said they served it that hot so it would
still be drinkable when you got where you were going so you could sit
down and enjoy your meal. Nobody in fast food wants to admit they are
serving food drivers will be eating or drinking on the road. Too much
liability.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:15:07 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 12/1/2019 10:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
accident is your fault, then it is up to each driver to fix their own
car.
Say you are going down the road and decide to turn in a drive way,
there is a minimum distance where you are suppose to turn on the turn
signal. If someone rams you from behind, it is still partly your fault
if you did not signal atleast that far ahead of time.

All state courts have a somewhat different perspective.

Here, I found that if you get a traffic ticket for an accident if you
just pay it and it gets to court you have no defense. I was advised to
plead no contest and pay the ticket as if it does get to court you can
bring up arguments in your defense to mitigate the damages if you lose.

On the national level we see it all the time where law firms shop the
courts where they know they can get a favorable verdict.

It is best to take any accident related ticket to court. The cop
generally did not see the offense and the only witness is the other
driver. If they don't show, case dismissed.
Tip, if both drivers got cited, postpone your court date, just in case
he does show up for his ticket and it is scheduled the same day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/01/2019 12:06 AM, micky wrote:
Maybe, but it doesn't have to be kept as hot as it is. They can let it
cool before selling it at the drive-in window.

That's the part the critics prefer to overlook. You brew coffee with 190
degree water but you don't set the warming plate to 190.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/01/2019 07:17 AM, Hawk wrote:
OR maybe I don't care to ruffle through the abundant links you provide
because it doesn't remove the fact that hot is hot. Anyone who purchases
food from a drive thru is at risk of causing harm to themselves and/or
others from spills of food or worse, hot beverages. And maybe I simply
believe that drivers should focus on driving instead of eating, drinking
hot beverages or removing the lids, texting or anything that diverts the
attention from their driving. Family, friends or otherwise, I'd say the
same. If common sense makes me callous, so be it.

The woman in question was not driving and the vehicle was not in motion.
She was 79 with her grandson at the wheel. After getting the coffee he
had pulled aside to let her add the cream and sugar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 11:41:05 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 12/01/2019 10:42 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 23:29:44 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 11/30/2019 09:36 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,

says...

I have a little sympathy since when I get a cup of drive through coffee
I'd really prefer to drink it now and not 30 miles down the road.

You should not be drinking the coffee while driving. If you spill it,
even if it is a drink that is not hot like water and you have to make a
sudden stop or have to make a quick turn you will be distracted.

However in some of the traffic jams I have seen , you can drink that cup
of coffee before you go a block, even giving it time to cool down.

You're kidding, right? You really don't want to think about what
truckers get up to. I used to make sandwiches while going down the road
at 65 with the cruise control set.

Back in the sleeper?

Never got that bad. iirc in Moon's 'Blue Highways' he mentions driving
across one of the boring states in the Midwest when he caught himself
getting ready to go back in the van to make a snack.

Drive about 3,000 miles a week and your mind can get a little warped.
The thing I found most distracting was audio books.

I was a teamster (local 639) in DC for a summer but it was all around
town, delivering chickens and beef. I did get to know some over the
road guys in the Children's Band radio days. They do seem to be a
different sort of person. I was working midnights and it seemed I was
always talking to the same guys at about the same time, going around
the beltway, most nights. They seemed to be making the same runs over
and over. It sounded pretty boring to me but I guess they weren't
standing at 20th and K with a hind quarter on their shoulder waiting
for the light. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/01/2019 08:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
accident is your fault, then it is up to each driver to fix their own
car.
Say you are going down the road and decide to turn in a drive way,
there is a minimum distance where you are suppose to turn on the turn
signal. If someone rams you from behind, it is still partly your fault
if you did not signal atleast that far ahead of time.

Sounds like Mexican traffic law. Whoever is still at the scene when the
cops arrive is the party at fault.
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:15:07 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 12/1/2019 10:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
[...]

Isn't it better to man up and accept the consequences of your actions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2019 2:20 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:15:07 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 12/1/2019 10:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...
In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
[...]

What would a democrat lawyer do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBe_guezGGc

--
Get off my lawn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We've got drive-through beer store up here in Ontario - along with
braille on drivethrough bank machines - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 02:06:51 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 1 Dec 2019 00:07:03 -0500, Hawk
wrote:

On 11/30/2019 10:11 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 30 Nov 2019 20:49:09 -0500, Hawk
wrote:

On 11/30/2019 1:03 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/30/2019 09:44 AM, Hawk wrote:
On 11/30/2019 10:50 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/30/2019 10:26 AM, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:
On 11/30/2019 9:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/29/2019 11:57 PM, micky wrote:

Please face forward and hold the handrail

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50606015

similar:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ourt-1.4908212

I won't use an escalator any more.* Power went out once and I got
stuck on one for over an hour.* Terrible experience.

You should hire one of those lawyers who advertise on late night TV.
A few million might ease your trauma.

Hire the one suing McDonalds for the guy complaining about them
cooking their veggie burgers on the same grill they use for those made
with meat.

Or the one who helped the lady sue McDonald cause she spilled hot coffee
on her lap and burned herself.

If you dig into that it's not as stupid as it sounds. The old lady
boiled her snatch, spent 8 days in the hospital, had skin grafts, and
was in rehab for a long time. She asked for $20,000 to cover the medical
expenses and McDonald's offered $800. Then it was off to the races.

I disagree. It sucks for the woman, but if people don't have the common
sense about hot beverages, it's not the fault of anyone else.

It was McDonalds's fault You probably dont' know all the facts. No
quotation marks for the quotes below:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...stella-liebeck
basically everything people think they know about the McDonald’s hot
coffee lawsuit is false.

In the decade before Liebeck’s spill, McDonald’s had received 700
reports of people burning themselves. McDonald’s admitted that its
coffee was a hazard at such high temperatures. But it continued the
practice, enforced by official McDonald’s policy, of heating up its
coffee to near-boiling point.

Liebeck didn’t want to go to court. She just wanted McDonald’s to pay
her medical expenses, estimated at $20,000. McDonald’s only offered
$800, leading her to file a lawsuit in 1994.

After hearing the evidence, the jury concluded that McDonald’s handling
of its coffee was so irresponsible that Liebeck should get much more
than $20,000, suggesting she get nearly $2.9 million to send the company
a message. Liebeck settled for less than $600,000. And McDonald’s began
changing how it heats up its coffee.

So how did the public’s view of this case get so warped? According to
Conover, lawyers spent years running a disinformation campaign, which
much of the media bought into, holding up the McDonald’s coffee lawsuit
as an example of a supposed epidemic of frivolous lawsuits.

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

https://segarlaw.com/blog/myths-and-...t-coffee-case/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebec...7s_Restaurants
Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her actual
and anticipated expenses. Her past medical expenses were $10,500; her
anticipated future medical expenses were approximately $2,500; and her
daughter's[15] loss of income was approximately $5,000 for a total of
approximately $18,000.[18] Instead, the company offered only $800.

Some of the frivolous suits start when a large corporation stonewalls.
They have a flock of corporate lawyers sitting around picking their
noses so it doesn't cost them much to bulldoze John Q.

If they settle due to the fault of the user, then when does it stop?

Doesn't apply here

John Q 1 through 1000 will also sue because they can get a settlement.
The systems is already effed because the courts allow stupidity as
legitimate.

IMO, I still have no sympathy. Coffee, hot chocolate, tea and other hot
beverages are "HOT".

Not that hot.

Maybe it's my fault for leaving out part of the facts on that.

McDonald’s didn’t just serve their coffee hot– their operations manual
required that is be served between 180 and 190 degrees; 30-40 degrees
hotter than other coffee-serving restaurants in the area. The Shriner’s
Burn Institute in Cincinnati issued warnings that coffee served above
130 degrees was “dangerously hot.” McDonald’s knew that their coffee
was “not fit for consumption” at the temperature it was served because
[...]

Keurig brews at 192F

How do you get the cream and sugar in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 11:51:15 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 12/01/2019 07:17 AM, Hawk wrote:
OR maybe I don't care to ruffle through the abundant links you provide
because it doesn't remove the fact that hot is hot. Anyone who purchases
food from a drive thru is at risk of causing harm to themselves and/or
others from spills of food or worse, hot beverages. And maybe I simply
believe that drivers should focus on driving instead of eating, drinking
hot beverages or removing the lids, texting or anything that diverts the
attention from their driving. Family, friends or otherwise, I'd say the
same. If common sense makes me callous, so be it.

The woman in question was not driving and the vehicle was not in motion.
She was 79 with her grandson at the wheel. After getting the coffee he
had pulled aside to let her add the cream and sugar.

Generally when I get a coffee for my wife they put the cream and
sweetener in
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2019 1:51 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/01/2019 07:17 AM, Hawk wrote:
OR maybe I don't care to ruffle through the abundant links you provide
because it doesn't remove the fact that hot is hot. Anyone who purchases
food from a drive thru is at risk of causing harm to themselves and/or
others from spills of food or worse, hot beverages. And maybe I simply
believe that drivers should focus on driving instead of eating, drinking
hot beverages or removing the lids, texting or anything that diverts the
attention from their driving. Family, friends or otherwise, I'd say the
same. If common sense makes me callous, so be it.

The woman in question was not driving and the vehicle was not in motion.
She was 79 with her grandson at the wheel. After getting the coffee he
had pulled aside to let her add the cream and sugar.

Correct, I acknowledge that in another reply and also added I'm
skeptical of the pulling over. Attorney's will advise to say so
otherwise, they hang themselves.

I also stated in another reply that driver or passenger(s) assume the
risk of injury as a passenger is not aware of what lies ahead while
driving. If it's true they did indeed pullover, the lady is still at
fault for being clumsy. Simply put, hot is hot and people know it. 109 +
degrees burns skin. Hot beverages are all over 109 degrees. Drink at
your own risk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2019 10:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
accident is your fault, then it is up to each driver to fix their own
car.
Say you are going down the road and decide to turn in a drive way,
there is a minimum distance where you are suppose to turn on the turn
signal. If someone rams you from behind, it is still partly your fault
if you did not signal atleast that far ahead of time.

Interesting. In Michigan, you're driving too close and will always be
the fault of the driver who rear ended the vehicle in front, even though
the use of turn signals are mandatory. Brake lights are also there for a
reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/01/2019 11:53 AM, wrote:
I was a teamster (local 639) in DC for a summer but it was all around
town, delivering chickens and beef. I did get to know some over the
road guys in the Children's Band radio days. They do seem to be a
different sort of person. I was working midnights and it seemed I was
always talking to the same guys at about the same time, going around
the beltway, most nights. They seemed to be making the same runs over
and over. It sounded pretty boring to me but I guess they weren't
standing at 20th and K with a hind quarter on their shoulder waiting
for the light. ;-)

The east coast is different. There are a lot of short runs between
cities. They tend to spend all day getting a load then drive all night
to unload in the morning, rinse and repeat. I don't know how they do it.

Most of my runs were at least a thousand miles. The money makers for the
company were carpets and furniture. I'd haul carpet out of LA to Dalton
GA, Denver, Brooklyn, Seattle, and so forth. Out of Dalton I'd bring
Georgia carpet back to LA or Vegas, usually. The other option was
bopping around the southeast picking up furniture and bringing it to the
Mississippi terminal. A lot of the Mississippi furniture went out by
rail, but there were always hot loads going back west.

The nature of that sort of operation meant you'd get strange loads to
reposition you for paying loads. Peanuts from New Mexico to LA, scrap
batteries from Denver to LA, and so forth. Groceries were the ones that
really sucked. Most grocery warehouses don't unload the truck. You
either do it yourself or hire a lumper for $100 or so. The lumpers were
outside contractors that were somebody's cousin or paid off the
warehouse foreman. One time I thought I was golden since the stuff was
on pallets. The dickhead informed me the stacking pattern wasn't correct
and they would all have to be restacked to meet their requirements.

It was fun for a while. Most years I'd get back home in November, clean
the truck out, and head to southern Arizona for the winter. In the
spring I'd trickle back, throw my junk in another truck, and hit the
road. Seniority didn't buy you much. Work for your dispatcher and you
got good runs. Slack off, not meet schedules, and you'd get **** runs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/01/2019 12:20 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:15:07 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 12/1/2019 10:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
[...]

Ain't the American way. Early in life I found out those stories that
started with 'I didn't do anything and that cop...' were pure bull****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:15:07 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 12/1/2019 10:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
[...]

But, but, but, the entire legal profession will collapse
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That Braille bit does make me wonder... They probably don't exist
anymore but what I really liked in Ontario was the men only beerhalls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Among other reasons, it's because they manufacture the front panels of
drive-up and walk-up ATMs the same.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:15:07 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 12/1/2019 10:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...
In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them
blame is
apportioned.Â* You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages.Â* If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most
here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

Â* From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
accident is your fault, then it is up to each driver to fix their own
car.
Say you are going down the roadÂ* and decide to turn in a drive way,
there is a minimum distance where you are suppose to turn on the turn
signal.Â* If someone rams you from behind, it is still partly your
fault
if you did not signal atleast that far ahead of time.

All state courts have a somewhat different perspective.

Here, I found that if you get a traffic ticket for an accident if you
just pay it and it gets to court you have no defense.Â* I was advised to
plead no contest and pay the ticket as if it does get to court you can
bring up arguments in your defense to mitigate the damages if you lose.

On the national level we see it all the time where law firms shop the
courts where they know they can get a favorable verdict.
It is best to take any accident related ticket to court. The cop
generally did not see the offense and the only witness is the other
driver. If they don't show, case dismissed.

Isn't it better to man up and accept the consequences of your actions?

What would a democrat lawyer do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBe_guezGGc

Technically if he went by the hillbilly axiom we all learned at the
time: "Eatin' ain't cheatin'" then he was correct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Don't go down that road or the nannies will want to outlaw cup holders
in vehicles and anything called a 'travel mug'.

There are already people on that road, Drinking coffee or eating a
sandwich can get you pulled over now. (Distracted driving).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:00:35 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 12/01/2019 08:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
accident is your fault, then it is up to each driver to fix their own
car.
Say you are going down the road and decide to turn in a drive way,
there is a minimum distance where you are suppose to turn on the turn
signal. If someone rams you from behind, it is still partly your fault
if you did not signal atleast that far ahead of time.

Sounds like Mexican traffic law. Whoever is still at the scene when the
cops arrive is the party at fault.

One of my DC cop buddies said if they pulled up on a property damage
accident and anyone wanted them to write a report they were giving
everyone a ticket. Usually they decided they could deal with it
themselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 19:20:26 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:15:07 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 12/1/2019 10:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
[...]

Just forfeiting the collateral to get them to ignore you to "failing
appear" seems like the cowardly way out. That is what you are doing
when you "pay a ticket".
I was standing there in front of a judge prepared to defend my actions
with the chance that I could end up paying more than the collateral on
the ticket. How much more manning up do you want?