Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Power supplier wants to fit smart meters?

On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 14:40:02 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 09:26:41 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 27/11/2019 10:07, Max Demian wrote:
On 27/11/2019 09:01, Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/11/2019 08:37, pfj wrote:
I've just changed Power supplier to E-0n and they want to fit smart
meters. At the time of change I apparently agreed to smart meters to
be supplied, but I never noticed it.

As long as it is a second generation one then it should be secure.
Having sight of what electricity you are using in real time will
probably shave 10% off your bill in the first year, but after that no
further improvement.

How did it enable you to save 10%?

By reducing the 24/7 base load to an absolute minimum. There were a
couple
of long lost iron wall warts sat behind furniture using a few watts each
continuously.

well I suppose if you have kids that could be a problem

but for the rest of us, unlikely to happen

TV default standby was over 20W

but turning it on/off at the switch behind the TV stand every day is just
too much hassle, whatever the saving.

Years ago Eon gave away "intelligent" adapters that on one leg gave
normal power and on the other leg switched off if the appliance wasn't
being used. See
http://blog.coultard.com/2014/02/eon...n-standby.html

ISTR something like this being pitched on Dragons Den

I can't recall the result

It needs to be trained to your remote so it will also turn on when you
hit the remote for On.

I have a 4-way attached to that outlet so everything else that would
require the TV to work (DVD player, Wii etc) is also off when the TV
is off.

well there's the rub

I need my WiFi and my PVR(s) to remain on even though the TV is off

I said Wii not WiFi, and my PVR is on the "always on" leg, rather
pointless otherwise.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?