Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Rooting a phone

On 29/11/2019 22:35, Theo wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
It seems complex but it's not really. A lot of the apparent
complexity comes from the fact that the software tools and version(s)
of the firmware(s) required vary with the hardware you are trying to
upgrade.

Basically you use Odin on a PC to replace the phones bootloader with
TWRP (device specific) over a USB connection. Then boot into TWRP on
the phone to replace the ROM (device specific) from an SD card in the
phone.

In summary, you need:

Odin, to flash the bootloader:
https://odindownload.com/
if you aren't on Windows there's also Heimdall:
https://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/

A version of TWRP for your phone. I assume you have SM-N910F model (that's
the European Note 4, with a Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU):
https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxynote4qualcomm.html

A ROM .zip file (see the XDA links I posted earlier).
It seems the ResurrectionRemix builds work slightly better - eg
RR-P-v7.0.2-20190920-trlte-Official.zip
from
https://forum.xda-developers.com/not...7-0-0-t3899186

If you want the Google apps (Maps, Play Store, etc) you need Opengapps
https://opengapps.org/
Pick 'ARM', the version of Android you're using (9 probably), 'nano' - this
will install the Play Store, and you can then install whatever apps you
want when you've set up your Google account.

If you want root (you probably don't, to begin with), you need Magisk:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

The procedure is:
1. Install Odin on a Windows machine
2. Use Odin to flash TWRP (requires holding Power+Home+VolumeDown buttons at
power up to enter download mode, then connect to PC via a USB cable)
3. Put RR, Magisk and OpenGapps .zip files onto a micro SD card
4. Boot into TWRP (from off, hold Power+Home+VolumeUp)
5. Wipe system partition and cache via the touch menus
6. Install the ROM .zip then the Gapps and Magisk .zips via the touch menus
7. Reboot into your new OS (first boot may take a while)
8. Set up your 'new' phone

Like anything, it's a bit slower the first time but a lot quicker second
time around, especially since you don't need steps 1-2 again (although you
can use Odin to reinstall the Samsung firmware[1] if you don't like your custom
ROM). It's worth following a video on how to use Odin since the UI isn't
terribly obvious (it's an internal Samsung tool that's leaked onto the net).

Once you've done this, it's like having a new phone for about 15 mins work.

Theo

[1] download from samfirmware.com

Thanks to all (esp. Theo and DaveL) for the info.
What I'm still lacking is an understanding of the benefits that would
offset the pain. If the newer Note phones had removable batteries I'd
probably treat myself but, apart from feeling a little slow, the N4 does
everything I need. How would it be "better" with a different ROM (I'd
misunderstood the process, thinking that Rooting was a necessary
precursor to changing the ROM code) and would everything still work?