Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Power supplier wants to fit smart meters?

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 27/11/2019 10:07, Max Demian wrote:
On 27/11/2019 09:01, Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/11/2019 08:37, pfj wrote:
I've just changed Power supplier to E-0n and they want to fit smart
meters. At the time of change I apparently agreed to smart meters to
be supplied, but I never noticed it.

As long as it is a second generation one then it should be secure.
Having sight of what electricity you are using in real time will
probably shave 10% off your bill in the first year, but after that no
further improvement.

How did it enable you to save 10%?

By reducing the 24/7 base load to an absolute minimum. There were a couple
of long lost iron wall warts sat behind furniture using a few watts each
continuously.

well I suppose if you have kids that could be a problem

but for the rest of us, unlikely to happen

TV default standby was over 20W

but turning it on/off at the switch behind the TV stand every day is just
too much hassle, whatever the saving.

and sound system for the PC consumed as much power in standby as when it
was on!

I hate my PC making sounds at me, so only turn on the sound actively when I
need it

Most of my other gear had sensible standby currents 1W.

A couple of smart master slave extension sockets later and base load was
much reduced. It depends on you being at least curious as to why power
consumption is a bit high with nothing apparently switched on.

Residual base load is now kitchen white goods, router, alarm and emergency
lights. All of which are essential to stay on power.

Central heating controller
PVR
various things with visible clocks on
cordless phone basestation(s)
night light in hallway (fortunately the ambient light sensor works on this
one, which It didn't on my previous one)