Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default How quickly will a hot water cylinder rust when decommissioned

On Friday, 29 November 2019 18:26:51 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/11/2019 14:14, wrote:

I've acquired a second hand Chelmer thermal store that was
decommissioned a few days ago. Presumably if I leave it lying around
I'm at risk of corrosion due to the residual water inside and lots of
air... How quickly might I need to think about fitting this?

Hot water cylinders are normally copper or stainless steel... so not
much to worry about.

There are some heating systems that incorporate a thermal store to make them more efficient. Often (galv) steel.

These would rust. Best dried out and seal up with some silica gell inside.