Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default turkey sizes

In article ,
says...
indy mentioned the labor is the thing and not the meat. I agree with
that. For a few dollars more they could get a larger turkey. Then I
would not have had to spend that much more to get another turkey at the
grocery store and cook it.

If you're in the business of cooking or smoking turkeys, you can't
just buy turkeys that are twice the size and have the only impact
on your costs be the increased cost of the bigger turkeys. You have
X employees and Y size ovens or smokers. You can't put 20 pounds
of turkey into a 10 pound oven. Generally speaking, in addition
to the increased cost of the larger turkeys, you'd need either more/larger
ovens or twice as long to cook them. That's a big impact on costs.

For the restraunt turkeys all that is probably true.

For places like the volnteer fire departments, the labor is really free.
The ones doing the cooking are volunteers. They have a big brick
fireplace of somekind with a cover it. Seems to be a grill about 5 feet
wide and 20 feet long.. I have seen them, but never paid any attention
to them. They seem to cook the hams and turkeys all over the same fire
pit. That way size is no problem. Just put the smaller ones on later
in the time frame.