Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Voted

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
or a proxy vote in which case your proxy needs to be someone local who
votes (on your behalf) in person.

Not aware of any system that allows proxy voting for elections.

Common with shares and credit unions and stuff like that.

Yes, UK voting has "always" allowed proxy voting ("always" meaning as long
as I can remember!) so that if you know you won't be able to vote, you can
nominate a proxy who can go along to the polling station (and it must be
that specific polling station in the UK) and cast their vote on your behalf.
I'm not sure what authorisation from you they need to take along -
presumably it needs to be authorised in advance (so the authority that you
provide is sent to your proven address). The wording says that if you
nominate a proxy, you can still vote in person as long as you get there and
vote before your proxy does on your behalf. You take it on trust that your
proxy casts the vote in accordance with your wishes, because there's no
legal way of checking afterwards...