Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Voted

"NY" wrote in message
"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
Well that's it I've voted..

So you've received your postal ballot paper already, have you? We're going
to be away at election time so we've applied, but we've not received our
ballot papers yet. I'm not sure when they will be sent. I was surprised
that the application didn't ask when we were going away and therefore when
we needed to have received them. It's a shame that there isn't (as far as
I know) the idea of a postal proxy vote: a postal ballot paper which is
sent to someone else (eg relative in another part of the country) for them
to vote on my behalf and return the ballot. There only seems to be a
postal vote (in which case you need to still be here until the ballot
paper arrives)

Or get someone to collect your mail and send on what is needed by you.

I used to do that for one of my neighbours who routinely migrated
north for the winter every winter and spent the winter in their 'mobile
home' in a caravan park getting ****ed, playing gin rummy and swatting
midges with dozens of others who all did the same thing there.

I paid the electricity and gas bills and posted on other stuff.
Corse that only works if you can predict where they will be.

or a proxy vote in which case your proxy needs to be someone local who
votes (on your behalf) in person.

Not aware of any system that allows proxy voting for elections.

Common with shares and credit unions and stuff like that.

OK, so we're in an area where our votes will be pushing against an already
open door, so we'll just increase the votes for the foregone-conclusion
candidate,

Yeah, that's why I don't bother to vote even tho its compulsory here.

but it would still be nice to vote. There's time
enough yet: we don't leave until a week on Friday.