Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

On 11/27/2019 1:54 PM, wrote:
I had this question too in the middle of working on a car. That is when I discovered the following:
5mm = 3/16
8mm = 5/16
11mm = 7/16
14mm = 9/16
(starting to see the pattern?)

Manufacturers are not including the metric sizes which match up to common SAE sizes, either because the set purchased includes both metric and SAE or in order to encourage metric users to also purchase the SAE set given that there are more metric sizes than SAE.

What pattern? 8mm = .315 inches 5/16 = .3125
14mm = .5512 inches 9/16 = .5625

Close, but not equal. Competent tradesmen that work on both have both
sets of tools.