Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rooting a phone

AnthonyL wrote:

wrote:

Reentrant wrote:

XDA is a good place to start.

I'm an ex-IT guy but I don't want to learn a new vernacular and spend
days or weeks fiddling; I just want the thing to work so I can get on
with the more important things in life.

Of course it's these same guys that write these systems which probably
explains a lot. I did root an old Android 4 phone which allowed me to
free up memory so I could actually run some apps that I wanted,
nothing spectacular.

Back in the days of android 2.x and to a lesser degree 4.x I did put 3rd
party firmware on my phones/tablets, to get round restrictions of under
1GB flash and 1GB ram, but I haven't bothered recently. I generally
give a big fat warning when pointing people towards XDA.