Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Rooting a phone

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 19:14:24 +0000, wrote:

On 26/11/2019 17:23, Reentrant wrote:
On 26/11/2019 15:39,
wrote:
I've had a Galaxy Note 4 for many years and am still happy with it,
except that something is making it run s l o o w l y. I plan to make a
note of everything I use and then nuke it back to factory settings and
reinstall the Apps I want, but this is also an opportunity to root it.
Rooting a phone is new to me so I have no idea how easy or risky it
is, which ROM to use, and whether the benefits outweigh the hassle.
All opinions and experiences gratefully received.

XDA is a good place to start.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4

Thanks. I had a look there but felt like I'd entered another reality.
I'm an ex-IT guy but I don't want to learn a new vernacular and spend
days or weeks fiddling; I just want the thing to work so I can get on
with the more important things in life.

Ditto in that I'm an ex-IT guy and the Android and Linux guys
sometimes may as well be speaking Klingon and I wonder how they got to
that point.

Of course it's these same guys that write these systems which probably
explains a lot. I did root an old Android 4 phone which allowed me to
free up memory so I could actually run some apps that I wanted,
nothing spectacular. It was no big deal but if I'd lost the phone it
wouldn't have mattered that much.

But if you don't want to fiddle then you are stuck with standard fare
so just go back to factory settings. If you got your apps from
playstore I suspect they'll re-install anyway.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?