Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Generator Price Heads Up

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
Ralph Mowery writes:
In article ,
says...

The larger diesel generators seem to be a lot more econimical to run
from what I have heard.

Diesels are great if you have a big tank of it on site. If the
stations are closed, you aren't getting diesel either.

Good thing about the diesel is the fuel last a very long time in
storage. I hear it is good for years. May need some alge treatment ?

Where I am at the power seldom goes out and if it does it has not been
out very long. Maybe 2 days at the most.

If I lived in some areas where it goes out frequently I would look into
the diesel. There is no natural gas line near here.

I'd look at solar + a powerwall or LG battery pack.

Hopeless economic with the powerwall or LG battery pack.

Suitably sized installation basically negates the loss of grid completely.

But when we lose the grid ad most every few years, still hopeless economics.

And a non-zero return on investment;

Much better returns available in the stock market
or mutual funds if you don’t have the knowledge.

it doesn't sit idle most of the time like a generator will.

Mine cost me peanuts at a garage/yard sale. Never actually
used it. The last time the grid was supposed to be out for about
6 hours in the middle of the day as they replaced a couple of
old wooden power poles with the 11KV distribution on top,
I took my usual knap when the grid went off, woke up at mid
day, noticed that the grid was back, walked out and asked
the traffic directing monkey if they had finished. He said that
they probably had if the grid was back, carried on regardless.