Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Generator Price Heads Up

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 1:34:36 AM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote
wrote

That 5KW disappears pretty fast when you turn on the oven,
start up the dryer or the water heater kicks on, even if the A/C
is off. I ran my house on 5.5kw for 8 days but no dryer, no hot
water and everything was cooked on the gas grille. Fortunately
it was warm enough that we didn't need heat.

Sure the 5 kw is just barely enough.

I don't buy that. When I built my very large house on a bare
block of land, I chose to move in as soon as it was physically
possible to stop paying rent on the flat I was renting. The
whole house was wired up completely but I hasn't got
around to doing the meter box and fuse box etc. So I
powered the whole house from the builder's temporary
supply over a long extension cord which could only deliver
2.5KW using a Jesus adapter, plug on each end of the
stub of extension cord. That powered the purely electrical
cooking and hot water and fridge and 2 freezers fine. You
just had ton be careful to only have the big wall oven and
not the grill on at the same time. Microwave was fine with
the oven or grill.

Electric water heater?

Yep, but storage, so its fine to heat the water at night
etc when nothing else is being powered. It now uses the
off peak electricity for the cheaper electricity so does
fine with just an overnight charge size of tank wise.

If you powered it on 2.5KW either it's gas
or one of the 5 gallon under sink ones.

Wrong on both counts.

And IDK how you get an oven by itself,

Trivial, thats the element power.

let alone plus a microwave on 2.5KW either.

Again, trivial, they arent usually on together
because of the thermostat in the oven and when
they are both on, the fuse doesnt blow because
the long extension cord limits the current.