Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Bennett Gary Bennett is offline

Default gas fireplace won't start-up - pilot is lit

On Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 9:04:23 PM UTC-3:30, wrote:
Hello all -

first post on this forum, so please excuse any newbie errors...

I have a gas fireplace at home that I haven't used in a couple of
years. I had turned the pilot off after I used it last. I tried to
start it back up yesterday, and the pilot started right up. I have a
wall switch that controls the gas flow and turns the fireplace on.
When I try to flip the switch to turn the fireplace on, it does
nothing 9 times out of 10. Occassionally the flames will come and
stay lit for a couple of minutes before going out again, and then
nothing. I don't smell any gas when the fireplace switch is on but
the flame isn't present. Not sure where to look to try and debug this
issue... any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Merry Christmas!