Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator Price Heads Up

On 11/26/2019 12:16 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/25/19 6:55 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

One winter in another house the electricity went out and the generator
would not gin.Â* Lucky that I had an unvernted natural gas heater in one
room that I could stay somewhat warm for 2 days and 2 nights.

I had just bought this house when we had a 2-day power outage when it
was cold (ice storm). Having gas logs in the fireplace helped.

Â* I think we actually get fewer and shorter power outages out here in
the woods than we did when we lived in Memphis . But we and nearly
everybody that lives near us heat with wood and have a generator for
backup - usually just enough for lights and refrigerators , but a couple
have whole-house auto-start units . And 500 gallon propane tanks out in
their yards , natgas service ain't happenin' out here . We get by on a
5kw B&S gas unit , it'll power everything but AC and the water heater .
It lives in my shop , and I have a setup to feed the main panel from the
shop sub-panel . I keep a supply of stabilized non-ethanol gas on hand
for yard equipment , so fuel usually isn't a problem . And if it comes
right down to it I can drain another 10 gallons from the Harleys
(usually kept full) plus whatever ethanol-laced fuel is in the car and
truck if I get that desperate .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old