Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default 2025 analogue phone line switch off

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 10:16:52 UTC, Graeme wrote:
Keep seeing stories regarding BT's planned switch off of analogue phone
lines in 2025 but, knowing little about telephony, and having no
particular interest in the subject, don't know what this really means
for the average home phone user.

Thoughts?
--

It is happening. We are getting FTTP next week and that should see an end to our copper. Not sure if they actually remove it?

Some further info:

Openreach (BT) plan to launch a new symmetric €ślow speed€ť 500Kbps (0.5Mbps) tier on their UK Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband ISP network, which might seem odd until you realise that its part of their transition away from the old phone services (WLR / PSTN). Elsewhere FTTP on Demand is being trialled in apartment blocks.

At present a lot of work is going on behind the scenes in order to prepare the market for two major changes. Firstly, the gradual migration of traditional voice services to all-IP technology (e.g. VoIP) by December 2025 €“ essential on full fibre lines where electrical signals are no longer used €“ and, secondly, the complete switch-off of the copper network in favour of €śfull fibre€ť / FTTP (phased €“ fully completing some years after 2025).

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...buildings.html