Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default Windows 7 nag screen...

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:51:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip
Yup Win 7 still gets updates (until 14th Jan next year). He probably has
a broken windows update mechanism (or one that was knobbled by malware).

(the troubleshooter can often fix windows update issues).

Failing that, download the Win 10 media creation tool and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

You are a true Champion John.
It never occurred to me that this method of upgrade was available or
even possible.
I've just used your suggestion to upgrade my computer with ten years
worth of Windows 7 pro apps and docs on it.
The end result is that you wouldn't know there has been any change at
all unless you looked at "This PC Properties..."
I was dreading what turned out to be a beautifully simple and trouble
free solution. Thanks a bunch!
--

Mike