Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default overpaintable anti-mould paint.

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 01:32:48 -0800 (PST), wrote:

snip
if you have a damp problem you need to get on & tackle it or things often go very much downhill

More a case of over the cliff here.

Having bought anti mould spray from Lidl

usually those are bleach

This one is said to contain N-alky( C12-16)-N,
NDimethyl-N-benzyl-ammonium-chloride
but I'll have to take their word for that.

Sounds impressively chemically. Don't know how effective it is though.
Maybe we'll see after it's been splathered with expensive anti-mould
paint.

and then treated the
offending patches to a double dose, it may be that ordinary emulsion
would be sufficient to cover the treated areas.

The idea of now painting these areas with anti mould paint may be
considered as a belt and braces approach but I wouldn't want to be
spraying unpleasant chemicals around the place too often in future.

Antimould paint is not a solution, but it can help with an otherwise almost adequate approach. 2ndly there is no need ot use nasty chemicals, aspirin, borax etc are fine. Even bleach is enough in the mildest cases.

It had a good dose of bleach to start with but then I read that
bleach only attacks mould on the surface, that it doesn't get down to
the nitty-gritties.

As some of the affected rooms are decorated with different colours,
I'd prefer not to buy multiple pots of different coloured anti mould
paint, which are available.

Just one colour that was overpaintable with ordinary emulsion would be
preferable.

Not mixing the mould killer into paint is often a better approach.

Maybe N-alky( C12-16)-N, NDimethyl-N-benzyl-ammonium-chloride AND
anti-Mould paint is overkill. The again, underkill might prove
disappointing.

NT

--

Mike