Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default Windows 7 nag screen...

In article , Andrew
writes
On 23/11/2019 02:48, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/11/2019 20:54, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:51:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Failing that, download the Win 10 media* and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

Can the W10 media creation tool be used to upgrade from W7 to W10, or
is it just for upgrading an older W10 to a more recent version? I've

It will update any properly licensed Win 7 or Win 8.1 to 10. It
updates to the same version as that in installed - so Home upgrades
to Win 10 Home, and Pro to Win 10 Pro.
Once upgraded, it should be shown as "activated with a digital
license", and you can do future reinstalls on the same hardware
without needing to have the previous version installed.

I thought the 'free upgrade' (to win 10) was time-limited and expired
ages ago . Have Microsoft changed their policy ?

I have Win 7 Pro OEM and the disk has 32 and 64 bit versions. I have
installed the 32 bit version, so what version of Win10 would I end up
with ?.

You select the option during install - or so I was told by MS but I
haven't tried it yet.
been browsing to find out more about it and I'm left wondering whether
it's just the latter.

Nope, it definitely still does the full upgrade (well it did last
time I tried a few days ago). Not sure if this is an intentional
"oversight" or if its just a hangover from the way in which it was
originally given away.

--
bert