Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default inductive?

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I still think sliding contacts would be allot more efficient

But you don’t need efficiency at that power level,
particularly when it charges a batter on the gate itself.

and less of a hassle to weather proof.

imo it’s the reverse, much easier to waterproof inductive.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:

I want to put some LED lights on my sliding gate. I wondered if I could
power them inductively, with a power 'transmitter' fixed to the gatepost
and a power 'receiver' on the gate, positioned so when the gate's shut
they are close together and the LEDs come on. The power requirement of
the lights is 24W at 12VDC. The positional accuracy of the gate is good.

You can buy 'commodity' induction coils in the 5W to 10W range that are
intended for phone charging, rather than running the LEDs on 'live'
power, maybe you could fit a battery on the back of the gate, and let it
charge 24x7, if the gate spends a significant part of its life open, then
have two receivers, so that its powered when fully open and when fully
closed

e.g. a 5V 1A transmitter/receiver
https://www.seeedstudio.com/Wireless-Charging-Module-5V-1A-p-1912.html

a bit more googling ought to find 10W coils