Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default overpaintable anti-mould paint.

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 11:54:02 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

snip

there are some positive aspect to the place. Quiet, by the sea, no
passing traffic but very close to a mainr bus route. Short walking
distance to the town and several big supermarkets.

Ahh, by the sea. So possibly a humid atmosphere too. Is this
a south coast location or somewhere where the winter air can be
a bit more 'bracing' ?.

Interesting that you should ask. It's even more southerly than much of
the south coast. BUT around the back, where the rotary washing lines
are it's known locally as Pneumonia Alley. This is mainly because
we're on a cliff with very little sheltering terrain around. Possibly
there are other contributory factors too, like lots of oldies prone to
such negative effects.

Is this one those buildings that had cavity walls, but with stonking
big vents allowing a howling gale to whistle through the cavity ?.

Yes indeed and also the wind and rain drives in so hard it precludes
the addition of cavity wall insulation I'm told.

Many houses were built like this in the 1950's and 60's,
so you are effectively living in a property with a single brick
skin separating your habitable space from the outside air. Plus
add on solid concrete floors/ceilings where that slab extends out
to the outside giving another nasty cold-radiator effect.

Cor lummy guv! The for sale sign goes up first thing tomorrow morning.

And I thought my only problem was black mould.

This isn't a sales pitch, by the way :-)
Even I wouldn't mistakenly introduce black mould as a feature of one
of those.

snip