Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default overpaintable anti-mould paint.

On 24/11/2019 08:13, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 14:39:28 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

On 23/11/2019 10:40, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 09:23:27 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Mike Halmarack
writes
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 21:16:46 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

What is causing the mould. That is the question.
The problem is that the spores will just seed somewhere else usually and so
the main thing is to find the damp source and stop it first.
Brian

The main contributor seems to be condensation.
Recently moved into an electric only flat and are waiting to see our
first bill that includes heating, before investing in electrical
solutions like dehumidifiers or powered extractors.

Might be useful to discuss the problem with neighbours in similar flats.

Discussed it with a few, who have had similar problems.

The best time to do this is before you buy the place :-)

That is so true. I never did perfect my property buying skills and
it's unlikely that there'll be many more practice opportunities.

That's why I find uk.diy such a help. There's a lot of knowlege
generously offered here, that often compensates for my lack of
expertise.

At the end of the day it boils down to lack of insulation and/or
not enough heat and/or ventilation.

All of those for sure, though I'm hoping to overcome some of them and
there are some positive aspect to the place. Quiet, by the sea, no
passing traffic but very close to a mainr bus route. Short walking
distance to the town and several big supermarkets.

Ahh, by the sea. So possibly a humid atmosphere too. Is this
a south coast location or somewhere where the winter air can be
a bit more 'bracing' ?.

Is this one those buildings that had cavity walls, but with stonking
big vents allowing a howling gale to whistle through the cavity ?.
Many houses were built like this in the 1950's and 60's,
so you are effectively living in a property with a single brick
skin separating your habitable space from the outside air. Plus
add on solid concrete floors/ceilings where that slab extends out
to the outside giving another nasty cold-radiator effect.

This isn't a sales pitch, by the way :-)
Even I wouldn't mistakenly introduce black mould as a feature of one
of those.

snip