Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Windows 7 nag screen...

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 17:41:49 +0000, wrote:

snip

For a while I've been wondering whether to risk changing from W7 to W10,
but this thread gave me the poke I needed. The process was quick(ish),
painless and (so far) everything seems to work.

Result.

YMMV, of course.

Of course.

It's strange, I 'like' W10 as a desktop solution in the same way as I
'like' Linux (say Mint) as a desktop solution in that it generally
installs fairly automagically (so that's the first .0001% of their
life) but doesn't make doing some things as easy as you know they can
be, in my case compared with W7.

Ignoring any of the hardware automagic stuff (not normally an issue to
me on Windows and needn't be an issue if someone else has been though
it and documented a solution that will actually work when copy
pasted on Linux) but with W10 I'm often happy when I've gone past the
W10 UI / DE crap and am back to what I know and works from say W7.

That's not to say that I can't deal with the 'superfluous' crap on
W10, just that I don't need / use it and it just gets in the way.

I don't necessarily want it to be like W7 in it's looks / layout (in
the same way I don't run a Linux that looks like Windows), I just
begrudge all the idiot steps you often have to click past to get to
thing things that are really going to make a difference. That's not
that you can't get to those things directly via an alternative mouse
click, just that I would prefer not to have to.

I know I'm going to have to move away from XP, especially as this
particular install is getting fairly long in the tooth now, it's just that
it's like a comfy old glove that still actually works for 90% of what
I need and I'm not looking forward to having to break a new one in. ;-(

I get the reverse effect, cringe when I have to deal with the quirks of XP
again.

And while I still run Win7 almost all the time, I am finding some of
its real deficiencys like not being able to control the font and bold
used in stuff as basic as explorer with the body of the window a
complete main the arse now that my eyesight isnt what it used to be.

Not trivial for me to change to Win10 for everything, particularly
as a quick test shows that the Access 2003 databases that I use
every day wont run reliably on Win10 and it would be a massive
effort to change those to a later Access due to the dramatic UI
change that happened after 2003. Havent yet checked if that
problem is fundamental to Access 2003 Win10 or just a quirk
of the laptop I did the test on.

I could certainly run a virtual Wiu7 on Win10 for the stuff like
that that is a problem on Win10 but havent gotten around to
going that route just to make explorer much more readable.