Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default RCD tripping.

But hang on a moment, many devices have mains filters that as a transient
would fail those tests, as they have capacitors in them which have to
presumably charge and discharge on each cycle of the mains.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Saturday, 23 November 2019 11:06:56 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Wondered if there was some form of 'leakage' tester I could buy or make?
To find out the actual fault current in each and every thing which is
plugged in to it? And what is acceptable - as I realise some things will
have some anyway.

Any megger / insulation tester and test between (L+N) and E.

15 mA may trip a 30 mA RCD and that's 16 kOhm at 240 volts.

Permitted leakage for PAT:

Class Type Max Leakage Current
1 IT, Movable, Stationary, & Fixed 3.5mA
1 Heating & Cooking 0.75mA per kW*
2 All Types 0.25mA
* to a maximum of 5mA

https://www.pat-testing-training.net...ge-current.php