Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Windows 7 nag screen...

On 23/11/2019 12:32, Andrew wrote:
On 23/11/2019 02:48, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/11/2019 20:54, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:51:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Failing that, download the Win 10 mediaÂ* and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

Can the W10 media creation tool be used to upgrade from W7 to W10, or
is it just for upgrading an older W10 to a more recent version? I've

It will update any properly licensed Win 7 or Win 8.1 to 10. It
updates to the same version as that in installed - so Home upgrades to
Win 10 Home, and Pro to Win 10 Pro.

Once upgraded, it should be shown as "activated with a digital
license", and you can do future reinstalls on the same hardware
without needing to have the previous version installed.

I thought the 'free upgrade' (to win 10) was time-limited and expired
ages ago .

It did...

Have Microsoft changed their policy ?

Not officially - although the web guidance is somewhat open to
interpretation.

I have Win 7 Pro OEM and the disk has 32 and 64 bit versions. I have
installed the 32 bit version, so what version of Win10 would I end up
with ?.

At a guess, 32. but note I have not tried doing an upgrade on a 32 bit
version.

(you could always clone the drive for safety, and then try)

You may be able to do a clean install of 64 bit with the existing umber
though.

--
Cheers,

John.