Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 2025 analogue phone line switch off

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 21/11/2019 10:16, Graeme wrote:

Keep seeing stories regarding BT's planned switch off of analogue phone
lines in 2025 but, knowing little about telephony, and having no
particular interest in the subject, don't know what this really means for
the average home phone user.

Thoughts?

When I was working on the future BT network they were still going to have
POTS but all the exchanges were going to be removed and replaced by cards
in the green cabinet and a softswitch to run it all.

That varys by jurisdiction. NZ has also chosen to do it that way but
Australia has chosen to scrap the POTS service completely and that
has the advantage that the highest VDSL2 speeds are better.

And in theory the copper back to the exchange can all be ripped out
and sold off, but it remains to be seen if they will actually do that.
Might not be viable when you need to ensure no disruption of the
fibre that is still in those ducts.

The new Labor opposition leader has just proclaimed
that everyone needs a FTTP service, but he has been
deliberately vague about whether that means they
will be paying for the replacement of all the current
FTTC/VDSL2 and HFC services. Very unlikely that even
Labor will be silly enough to be providing FTTP to the
more rural customers with out immense distances.

And imo **** all chance of Labor getting to be the
govt here again any time soon. He's the first left
federal labor leader we have had since the war.

We were developing the stuff to do it when Gordon Brown bankrupted
Marconi.