Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Windows 7 nag screen...

On 22/11/2019 20:54, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 16:51:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Failing that, download the Win 10 media and let it
"update" the current machine - it will give you an upgrade install of
win 10 without losing programs and data.

Can the W10 media creation tool be used to upgrade from W7 to W10, or
is it just for upgrading an older W10 to a more recent version? I've

It will update any properly licensed Win 7 or Win 8.1 to 10. It updates
to the same version as that in installed - so Home upgrades to Win 10
Home, and Pro to Win 10 Pro.

Once upgraded, it should be shown as "activated with a digital license",
and you can do future reinstalls on the same hardware without needing to
have the previous version installed.

been browsing to find out more about it and I'm left wondering whether
it's just the latter.

Nope, it definitely still does the full upgrade (well it did last time I
tried a few days ago). Not sure if this is an intentional "oversight" or
if its just a hangover from the way in which it was originally given away.

--
Cheers,

John.