Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ray[_22_] Ray[_22_] is offline

Default 2025 analogue phone line switch off

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 12:58:47 +1100, Ray wrote:

Mobiles yes but not proper VOIP calls. Unless you are trying to

use
VOIP over an iffy mobile data link rather than a stable
ADSL/VDSL/FTTP connection but even then it's just drop outsrather
than the mangled donald duck noises that mobiles produce.

Never ever get any mangled donald duck noises with my mobile and I use
it for all calls now.

Presumably you live in an area with a good signal no matter where you
are inside or out.

No I don't, particularly with the one carrier where you
have to be very careful where you put the phone down.

And a mate of mine is sometimes in a very poor reception area
as was again just a week ago. Certainly wasn't possible to be
sure what he was saying, but no mangled donald duck noises,
just words that were not recognisable, but sounded normal.

Here you have to be upstairs, by a window, on the
right side of the house to stand a chance of being
able to make a phone call without, donald duck
noises, drop outs or the call just disconnecting.

I certainly get dropouts and call just disconnecting at times
but have never had any mangled donald duck noises

A lot of people don't seem to notice these issues
or the delay all of which I find very distracting.

Yeah, some handle it a lot better than others.

I am a light aircraft pilot and never have any
problem with the radio comms but I don't
think I have ever had any passenger who
wasn't also a pilot who has ever been able
to make any sense of the communication.

Quite a bit of that is knowing what they will be saying.