Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default key safe recommendation

On 22/11/2019 08:35, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 00:50:12 +0000, alan_m wrote:

Recommendation for key safe required. This is the type to be fitted
outside of a front door and holds the front door key.

My only input here is to read reviews carefully. Some of the well known
ones (I forget now, it was 5 years ago) are easily forced or bypassed.

As mentioned in another reply I've seen Youtube videos where many of
these locks can be defeated within around 10 seconds without resorting
to any skill and locks under various manufactures names have
identical/similar mechanisms.

Even one of the locks mentioned in one of the replies that has "Police
Accredited" status doesn't mean that the opening code mechanism is
secure - just it can resist forceful entry to the same standard as a
front door.

The more that I investigate the more that I find that some of these
boxes are no more secure than leaving the key under the front door mat.

Although some of the points below may not help with my elderly relative
some findings:-

When open the some have hinged door and no re-alignment is required to
close it. Some are two part so when open the front has to be removed.

Some are self locking and others require the code to be re-entered to
lock it. On some, the lock is reset when you release the spring loaded
opening lever so you have to re-enter the code to retract the locking
bar mechanism again in order to close the box.

Push button mechanisms can have fewer combinations as the buttons can be
pushed in any order. Some have only the numbers 0 to 9 while other have
a few additional keys. Behind the tough outer metal shell is a cheap
plastic mechanism with warnings that you can easily break the mechanism
using when setting the code with the lock in the wrong state. Many
Amazon 1 star reviews suggest that this has happened when people don't
fully read the manual first.

Some have decent weather protection cover which doubles up a partial
disguise of the unit while some others have no cover and yet more have
covers that fail within months according to user reviews. If you want
the unit to be more discrete avoid those with visible branding that
screams security "I'm a key safe". I've seen at least one where "Key
Safe" is written on the front in nice large white letters on a grey
background.

I painted my keysafe outer box to match other equipment boxes where I
have it installed. It's not obvious that the keysafe is not part of
something else.

All the 4 wheel combination types seem to be the same on all brands of
safe that use them. The difference with some is that they are not
recessed into the box and so may be easier to operate or see. However
these mechanisms don't appear to be any more secure than those on a
cheap padlock which again with a little Youtube knowledge (and no skill)
can be opened.