Posted to uk.d-i-y
RayL12 RayL12 is offline

Default Smart meters to be compulsary?

On 20/11/2019 22:31, Max Demian wrote:
On 20/11/2019 21:00, RayL12 wrote:
On 05/11/2019 19:57, bert wrote:

Nope. They are pushing it because they have been told to do so by EU
directive in the stupid belief that it will reduce demand.
The reality is it does so for about 1 month when customers get bored
with checking it and the annual saving becomes about £11.

My worry with Smart is, it's remotely switchable; remotely hackable
and, an internet complaints line on a PC that isn't battery operated.

You can be without electric for many reasons, from burglars to a
disagreement between you and energy supplier/reseller staff at the
other end of a phone. Of course, they are not entitled to switch you
off in such a way but, accidents do happen and, can take a long time
to resolve. Your arguments are going to be tentative.

There's also the way they could (in future versions) bump up the unit
cost just while you want to cook your dinner, probably without adequate
notice.

But, I do look forward to joining the on-line masses that gather to
bargain a price.

Do what?

People join together on line in their thousands and promise a supplier
they will transfer their custom at an agreed price fixed over a given
period on a given date. I have seen such.

....Ray.