Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas heating options

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 19:46:51 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

We have a big LPG tank (came with the house, I don't think I'd

have
chosen LPG) and a newish boiler but I doubt it's any cheaper than
electricity really.

E7 night 7.69 p/kWhr peak 14.9 p/kWhr. (Bulb Area 16 Norweb as

was).

Oil 4.7 p/kWhr (based on the 47p/l that I recently paid and 10
kWhr/l).

Ex VAT.

Oil and bulk LPG are very similar in overall cost at current

prices.

Yes, but 100% of those electric kWh will end up heating my water or my
house. Quite a significant percentage of the oil or gas kWh will go
up the chimney (or flue, or whatever). I guess boilers have become
more efficient now though so the balance may have swung more in favour
of gas/oil.

A modern condensing boiler running in condensing mode can get over
90% but realisticly it'll be lower than that but not as low as 61%
(4.7 / 7.89). Even our old huge cast iron non-condensing thing was
around 80%.

--
Cheers
Dave.