Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Gas heating options

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 14:28:27 -0000, NY wrote:

You don't change the cylinders: you *must* have them changed by Calor or
a Calor-approved agent.

So caravaners, boat owners, outside cateres, etc don't change their
cylinders? ********.

The only slight "gotcha" is that the propane (orange cylinder) POL
connector is a left hand thread.

I was told by the company that we buy our gas from that gas safety laws
prohibit the customer from uncoupling the hoses and replacing cylinders, and
that only authorised, qualified people (their drivers and also central
heating plumbers) are allowed to do it. Maybe it is a company rule (if you
buy from *us*, we are the only ones who can disconnect the hoses) - but if
you buy from someone else you can connect the cylinders. How does it work
with cost if you obtain your own cylinders? Do you pay a deposit for the
cylinder itself which is refunded (or transferred to the new cylinders) when
you take the old cylinders back and exchange them for full ones?

I agree, my parents regularly used to disconnect and connect the butane
cylinders on their caravan. I wondered whether the rules were different for
butane versus propane or small cylinders versus the big 47 kg ones.

I remember the left-hand thread thing: every face of the hexagon nut is
marked with a notch to say "this is left-hand thread".