Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Gas heating options

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 19/11/2019 11:18, Tricky Dicky wrote:
If you are talking about open flame LPG fires then forget it the
condensation resulting from the amount of water they throw out is
horrendous.

If on the other hand you are considering an LPG boiler then very
carefully weigh up the costs. To start with the boiler itself will
probably be dearer than an equivalent natural gas one because it is a
smaller market. As for how practical it is to run it off cylinders I do
not know even if it is cost effective do you really want to be out there
in -5°C changing over cylinders.

They have an auto changeover valve.

And sometimes those valves even work :-) Where we were living, the
changeover valve developed a faulty changeover indicator for one of the
pairs of cylinders. When Pair A became empty, the valve would change to Pair
B and show the red flag to indicate "now is the time to order a new pair of
cylinders. But when Pair B became empty, although the valve would change to
pair A, it did not show the flag, so the first you knew was when *both*
pairs of cylinders were empty. We were stuck without gas for several days on
three occasions before I worked out the common factor (that it always
happened on the changeover from B to A) and had the valve tested and
replaced. To their credit, the gas-delivery company that we used were very
good about making us a priority delivery when we said that we had no gas at
all. No credit to the heating engineers who we called out to investigate why
we kept running out of gas without warning, and who failed to test the valve
*for transitions in both directions*; once I suspected a faulty valve, the
delivery driver proved it in about 10 seconds by turning off first one pair
of full cylinders and then the other to simulate out-of-gas.

It didn't help that our boiler didn't have a proper diagnostic warning to
say "low gas pressure", but instead lumped that code in with lots of
unrelated faults which didn't unambiguously imply that the cylinders might
be empty.

But changeover valves, as long as they work properly, are much better than
having to operate a valve manually once you notice that the boiler has
stopped working.