Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Gas heating options

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
If you are talking about open flame LPG fires then forget it the
condensation resulting from the amount of water they throw out is
horrendous.

If on the other hand you are considering an LPG boiler then very carefully
weigh up the costs. To start with the boiler itself will probably be
dearer than an equivalent natural gas one because it is a smaller market.
As for how practical it is to run it off cylinders I do not know even if
it is cost effective do you really want to be out there in -5°C changing
over cylinders. I think most people running off LPG tend to have a large
gas tank in the garden, so do you have a suitable garden and it will still
probably require some digging to run the gas feed into the house. When you
weigh up all these costs it may not be cheaper than running a gas supply
in from the street assuming there is gas there.

47 kg propane cylinders are horrendously expensive. Where we lived
previously (my parents' holiday cottage, between selling selling our old
house and buying a new one) they had 47 kg propane, and the cost was about
£140 every couple of weeks, though that was a very old cottage which is cold
even in the hottest summer. You don't change the cylinders: you *must* have
them changed by Calor or a Calor-approved agent.

A large LPG tank may well work out cheaper per unit volume of gas.

Oil is cheaper still, but I'm not sure whether oil boilers tend to be more
expensive than gas ones. When the old bottled-gas boiler at the cottage
failed, my parents chose to replace it with a new one, rather than opting
for oil.

When we were living at the cottage, we used a mixture of bottled-gas central
heating and coke (Phurnacite) in a woefully small wood/coke stove which just
heated the living room.