Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default cheap and long extensions, was: Why are extension cords hard to use?

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 4:54:33 AM UTC-5, M. L. wrote:
On 11/14/2019 1:23 PM, micky wrote:
Solar can work very well. I must have had a slow leak somewhere 20
years ago but once I put a solar cell on the dash, plugged into cig.
lighter, no more problems.

Could you elaborate on that solar cell setup? Where can I buy one? I'm
having a slow leak problem that no mechanic can seem to diagnose. After
about a year, the battery won't crank after sitting up overnight. I
installed a battery cutoff switch to disconnect the battery overnight so
that my car can always start the next day. But I like your solar
solution better if it can keep my battery charged. Thanks.

battery cutoff switch
https://i.imgur.com/jwlYdA2.jpg

Have you tried googling for solar car charger?

To fix the actual problem, have you used an ammeter on each fuse circuit to
find out which one is drawing? I'd hook the meter up so that you can read
it with the car closed, locked, etc. Then leave it for half an hour and
see what it reads. Modern cars have alarms and such, so you could see
maybe 50ma or so draw as normal. Something is drawing a lot more than that
to run the battery down overnight. A competent mechanic should be able to
find the problem circuit, then you have to see what all is on it and take
things off it, to the extent possible to further isolate.