Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Kind of a generic electrolytic cap question

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 07:52:26 -0800, John-Del wrote:

It's a good plan to avoid knock-off parts of any type. Many of old
timers have seen counterfeit parts going back 40 years or more.

Where did those fakes come from 40 years ago?? I'm guessing certainly not
from China. China joined the game *much* later AFAIK.

You just need to be careful about where you source your parts. Here in
the states, I use DigiKey mostly. I can buy cheaper caps but I prefer
to buy from a trusted supplier. Plus, companies like DigiKey and Mouser
have a huge selection of caps. So one can select not only value,
voltage rating, and lead configuration, but also have the option of
selecting manufacturer, ESR, and lifetime hours ratings.

It's kind of baffling when one first sees the range of choice available
from those two suppliers, though. I find it takes me *so* much longer to
find the part I want than when I was with Farnell/CPC which had a much
more limited range. Sometimes you can have too much choice and it becomes
a PITA to sort through it all, even with all those filters. Perhaps I'll
feel differently once I eventually get used to it.

I generally only buy Panasonic capacitors because I've grown to trust
them.

Amen to that. Same here!