Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default cheap and long extensions, was: Why are extension cords hard to use?

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Nov 2019 17:44:29 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 14:27:01 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 13 Nov 2019 21:30:58 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 01:34:06 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Clare Snyder writes:

I've actually got a real use for even an... 18 gauge 100 foot
cord. Namely a Battery Tender brand name Battery Tender
to reach my car outside the home.

(I'm actually using a series of 14 gauge)

It pumps out 3 amps at 12V, takes in about 80 watts...

Car outdoors? Put a solar tender on it -around here the chippies would
finish off the cord

nah, not a "leave it for weeks" deal. Just an overnight or so
recharge it after, well, umm, someone... someone... left the
overhead lights on...

Yup you are right, you need a real charger. I doubt you will find an
18 gauge cord tho unless you set the way back machine to some time
before the 80s when U/L stopped listing 18 gauge cordsets with
receptacles on them. The smallest listed extension cord you can get
is 16 gauge.

BTW, I was never looking for a 100' lamp cord extension cord, just more
than 16'. Outside I use iirc 14 gauge. BTW, I leave it lying in the
grass all year, in the rain and snow, and though the GFI works, it's
only tripped once or twice in 20 years.

I have seen 25' 2 wire (zip lead) 16ga cords with the triplex
receptacle. I have some in my Christmas light stuff. You can always
buy the plug cap, receptacle and cord to make up anything you want.

I looked for the receptacle at HDepot and I had a choice of one outlet
or a very big one for 3. At least in the store. Once I was going to
mail order, I did get 16' from Amazon, but they didn't have anything
longer than that.