Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Why are extension cords hard to use?

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:38:57 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 04:40:02 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 6:51:27 AM UTC-5, Jeff B. Ezos wrote:
On 11/12/19 10:31 PM, micky wrote:
It's also hard to get medium weight, 14 gauge, extension cords more than
12 feet long. More than 16' impossible. Have to buy heavy duty. Why?

Ever hear of Amazon, Lefty?

16 gauge 100'

https://smile.amazon.com/50-Black-Ex.../dp/B06ZZ4JHS9

14 gauge 100'

https://smile.amazon.com/Otimo-Outdo.../dp/B06XCV434H

That's what I was thinking. He must be looking for ext cords at the
supermarket or something. 14 gauge only 12 ft? WTF?

That sounds like the "air conditioner" cords, basically big zip cords
and usually not "wet" rated. You can certainly find contractor grade
cords up to 100' at Home Depot, Lowes or Ace.
They use SJOT (or similar) cord stock with molded caps.
I also see them in the ubiquitous Harbor Fright fliers cheaper but my
guess this is an unlisted piece of Asian crap with god knows what kind
of cord or caps.

Actually some of the BEST extension cords I have seen - and at very
reasonable prices, were at Princess Auto here in Canada - our
"equivalent" to "Harbour Fright". They have CSA approval good thick
and durable insulation that remains reasonablyflexible in the cold
(important up here where it's been down to -17 already this year) and
with connectors that stay connected and don't heat up under rated
load.
An example is a 30 meter (100 ft) 14/3 single end contractor grade
cord flexible to -40 for $40 Canadian. Pretty hard to beat the price.

Also a 15 meter 12/3 with triple outlet - same spec, also for $40.00
Canadian.

They also have 50 ft 30 amp generatoe cords for $130 - Regular price
is $180 - that's 240 volt (4 wire) with twist-lock.

What Mikey seems to be looking for is a "lampcord" - and why he would
ever need anything more than 12 feet is a bit of a mystery.