Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Gas boiler servicing is not diy

On 12/11/2019 18:17, Terry Casey wrote:
In article
,
says...

On 10/11/2019 22:42, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/11/2019 18:43, Terry Casey wrote:

When my daughter moved into her new flat and had the gas
inspection she was told that the hob had a flexible connection
whiich is a fail.

That assumes that the the manufacturer has not stated that a flexible
hose is suitable - in which case it *IS* acceptable.

Its actually the other way round... flexible hose connection are
permitted *unless* prohibited by the manufacturers documentation.

This seems to be a semi FAQ, so I have put the relevant reference data
in a wiki page now:

http://intranet.balgoresproperty.com..._connection s

I passed that link on to my daughter as I thought it might be

The second link hopefully - that one is no use.

of interest and she has replied with a question:

"Could you ask if it makes a difference if the oven is
electric?

When this came up last year, I did double check with a gas
fitter I know and trust, and he confirmed that it shouldn't be
a flexible hose. I have a feeling either he, or John (who did
the safety check as Rob is always extremely busy) said it was
because the oven is electric, not gas."

Well if the oven is electric, it does not need gas at all!

The hob may be quite remote from the oven, so how that is connected does
not seem relevant.

(and multi fuel free standing cookers with electric ovens are still
connected via a flexible hose).

I've replied that I can't see that it would make a blind bit
of difference but I am not an expert in these matters so I'd
better do as I've been told and post it here!

Well indeed. I don't claim any particular insight here other than having
read the relevant BS docs, and they make no mention of an electric oven
or it having any influence on the choice of connection method.

Possibly worth noting that Tolly's Domestic gas installation practice
guide still paraphrases the wording of the 1982 version of BS 6172 -
i.e. claiming that flexible connections are not suitable for fixed
appliances not intended to be moved by the end user, rather than the
current version that was used from the 2004 version onward.

(I have the 4th edition from 2006, but a quick look at the text of the
5th edition which Amazon have helpfully included the first 295 pages in
their "look inside" feature, suggests that has not changed).

--
Cheers,

John.