Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Gas boiler servicing is not diy

Terry Casey wrote:

In article
,
says...

On 10/11/2019 22:42, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/11/2019 18:43, Terry Casey wrote:

When my daughter moved into her new flat and had the gas
inspection she was told that the hob had a flexible connection
whiich is a fail.

That assumes that the the manufacturer has not stated that a flexible
hose is suitable - in which case it *IS* acceptable.

Its actually the other way round... flexible hose connection are
permitted *unless* prohibited by the manufacturers documentation.

This seems to be a semi FAQ, so I have put the relevant reference data
in a wiki page now:

http://intranet.balgoresproperty.com..._hob,_and_oven
_flexible_pipe_connections

I passed that link on to my daughter as I thought it might be
of interest and she has replied with a question:

"Could you ask if it makes a difference if the oven is
electric?

When this came up last year, I did double check with a gas
fitter I know and trust, and he confirmed that it shouldn't be
a flexible hose. I have a feeling either he, or John (who did
the safety check as Rob is always extremely busy) said it was
because the oven is electric, not gas."

I've replied that I can't see that it would make a blind bit
of difference but I am not an expert in these matters so I'd
better do as I've been told and post it here!

It is true that a gas cooker (oven + hob) probably needs a flexible hose
so you can level it (and perhaps even clean behind it). But that in
itself is not reason why a fixed hob should not have one. Just a reason
why it is not useful in service.

--

Roger Hayter