Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default A little light relief

On 09/11/2019 17:31, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
writes
On Saturday, 9 November 2019 17:01:53 UTC, nightjarÂ* wrote:
Â*Tins may well end up well past their best before date
just sitting in my cupboard.

I'm working my way through 72 tins of haggis I bought a few years ago
when they were about 35p each :-)

I'm not sure why dates are printed on tins.Â* How did we survive before
the dates were printed?Â* I've used countless tins that were well past
the printed date, and never noticed a difference in the quality of the
contents, or spent the next few days 'squatting'.

Meaty stuff can last well, but tinned fruit or veg should not be
consumed too long after the use-by date because the acids in the
contents can etch the container. I assume this is why the tins
of peaches etc seem to have a white plastic lining of some sort.

Botulism is rather nasty remember. There was a story once about
a chap admitted to A&E and was unable to communicate. Once Botulism
was suspected the staff has the foresight to ask the police to go
round to his house and see if his wife had eaten any of the same.